What is a friend?
Recently, I have been getting help on defining what a friend is. I asked my dad the other night, "What if they don't want to be my friend anymore?" My dad responded by saying, "You can't loose a friend that you never had. But, take comfort to know that their fathers are your friends. They are the kind of friends that you want to have in your life." The more my dad tells me this (which has been a lot lately) the more it is comforting. Speaking of fathers, I believe that Pastor Taylor, Pastor Hicks, Pastor O'Connor, Ben Taylor, my dad (to name a few) are my friends. I know I can go to them when I can't handle something. I believe that everyone has the opportunity to do this if they want.
The video below is a song about charity. My brothers and sisters wrote it with help from my dad and their teacher Mrs. Scamman. For some reason, I thought of this song when I was posting on my blog.
Amen to your dad, you can never loose a friend you didn't have. C.S.lewis talks about friendship and one thing he says is that friends have to have something in common whether its white mice or whatever it is they have to have a common vision. If somebody is in darkness and you are in the light they can not be a friend. The bible tells us faithful are the wounds of a friend but deceitful are the kisses of an enemy. Hope this encourages you Elena, We are committed to your family. Trust the Lord that He has the perfect plan and will see you through
ReplyDeleteI really like to hear you quoting your dad because I know that means you're talking to him and there is real safety there because he is covered by the Word. I thought of the same scripture Molly did. The Lord is faithful to end any relationships not mediated by His Word but He can give new and better ones in a twinkling of an eye. I consider you and your family my friends because of God's grace. I love you Elena and your family! Hope to see you soon.
ReplyDeletePS: I really liked that song. It was so peaceful and clean. Also, I thought of this scripture for some reason. I hope it encourages you. Actually the whole chapter is really good but for space sake I'll just share a verse.
Galatians 6:9
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
Thank you for this post Elena - I always like to hear what your Dad is telling you, partly because it sounds a lot like what my Dad tells me. One thing I have been hearing lately from our pastors and parents is about being odd and that when you are odd everyone is not going to want to be around you, including people that you thought were your friends, but like you said, you will be friends with the fathers and people who are building with them and joining the fight with their mouths. Thanks again for posting this and I really like the song your brothers and sisters were singing – five stars.
ReplyDeleteThank you Molly, Kaylee, & Bonnie. Amen to everything that was posted. Very encouraging & comforting. Thank you again.
ReplyDeletePS - I really like the song too :)
Thank you, Elena!
ReplyDeleteThank you Elena! One thing I have been hearing is that when you speak God's Word immediately people will either hate it or gladly hear it....I know for me the only friends that are worth having are people whose entire life is one walking before the Lord and in the light of His Word. Either our speech and actions line up with God's Word or it is sin, but God is faithful to finish the good work He has started in all of us. Talk to you soon!
ReplyDeleteEmily
I had a great time last night, Len. We need to do that more often. :)
ReplyDeleteOne thing that is easy to forget is that one of His Means of Grace is Mutual CONSOLATION - which means "comfort". We are in a real war with pain and suffering. When we forsake the Mutual Conversation we cut ourselves off from the Consolation as well. Keep preaching what you are hearing. It's a good way to cultivate thankfulness :)
Thank you so much for posting that video! I got to help them work on it but I was up in Olympia when they sang it. Listen to the words. Your love hates being spurned. Thats why when a friend rejects you it hurts. But God's love is far greater. While we were yet enemies, he died for us. God's love is in you when you preach truth to a friend. Remember, it is not the end of the story. They might hate you for it now, but Gods word doesn't return void.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the Word! I have been learning the same thing in school... A true friend is not a only a "buddy" but someone that you don't need to hide anything from or act a certain way around. We are so blessed that the Lord has placed true friends in our life. This really is a gift, that not everyone has! We are also so blessed to have fathers in our life. I am just starting to see what a gift it is to be able to talk to my pastor and the other fathers in my life. We are not alone!
ReplyDeleteWell, I hope I can talk more to you soon!
Elena, Thank you for your posts..I had forgotten that you had a blog, but now going back and reading all your posts is great! I have been hearing the same things you have about friends...WE have many gifts to draw from...after all what is it you have that you haven't been given? nothing...you are a gift, and I am glad you are my friend!
ReplyDeleteVic